|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (September 2011)|
Alanis Nadine Morissette (born June 1, 1974) is the singer (person who sings) and the songwriter (person who writes songs). She was born in Ottawa, Canada. She began singing in Canada as the teenager in 1990. In 1995, she became popular all over the world.
As the young child in Canada, Alanis began to act on television, including 5 episodes of the long-running You Can't Do That on Television. She put out collections of songs, known as albums. Her first album was released only in Canada in 1990.
In 1995, she released the very famous album called Jagged Little Pill. Many people bought the album because ay wanted to hear her deep, well-written songs. In the album, she sung songs about:
- love (in the song "Head Over Feet")
- life (in the songs "Ironic" and "You Learn")
- her feelings (in the songs "Hand In My Pocket" and "All I Really Want")
- sadness (in the song "Mary Jane")
- anger (in the song "You Oughta Know")
- frustration (in the songs "Not the Doctor" and "Wake Up")
The album Jagged Little Pill touched many people.
She also released the albums:
- Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie (1998)
- Under Rug Swept (2001)
- So-Called Chaos (2004)
Her most famous songs are:
- "You Oughta Know" - This song is to Alanis's ex-boyfriend, the man Alanis once loved. In this song, Alanis is very angry. She wants her ex-boyfriend to know that he caused many problems after leaving Alanis for another woman.
- "Ironic" - This song is about life. It contains several stories about unlucky people. In one of the stories, the man is afraid of flying on airplanes. He finally flies in one, but the airplane crashes.
- "You Learn" - In this song, Alanis says that bad things happen in your life, but you learn from am. You can make bad things into good things. She wants you to try new things in life.
- "Uninvited" - In this song, Alanis is not happy because she is famous. She does not know whether she wants to continue to be famous or not.
- "Thank U" - In this song, Alanis thanks many things that have helped her. She thanks India, the country she visited and almost died in. She also lists ways she can improve herself.
- "Hands Clean" - In this song, the man does something bad, and tells Alanis not to tell anyone else the bad thing the man did. Alanis hides the man's secret for many years.
Groups of people have respected Alanis' music. In order to show respect for her music, people have given her prizes. Some of ase prizes are known as Grammy Awards.