Simple English Wikipedia is a free encyclopedia. It is written by lots of people together. The website is a wiki. This means anyone (you included) can change any page. Just click the edit this page link. You can do this on any page that is not protected.
Wikipedia started in January, 2001 and there are over 3,000,000 articles overall, including 1,446 in Simple English. More than half the pages are in languages other than English. Every day hundreds of people from around the world make thousands of changes and create lots of new articles.
Everything that is written on the site is covered by the GNU Free Documentation License. Pages that you write remain your property and the copyleft licensing ensures that people will always be able to use and reproduce the content. See copyrights for more information.
Note: Wikipedia contains content that some people think is mean, vulgar or bad. See the content disclaimer for more information.
More about Wikipedia
- Wikipedia, more about the project and its history
- en:Wikimedia Foundation, the non-profit company that Wikipedia and other projects belong to.
- Frequently asked questions
- Press coverage
Contributing to Wikipedia
- Welcome, newcomers!, a starting point for new contributors.
- Policies and guidelines for contributors
- Help pages, help on editing articles and more.
Getting in touch
- Contact us
- Simple talk, ask questions here
- Wikipedia mailing lists
- Bug reports and feature requests
- Wikipedians, list of people who help with Wikipedia
- Meta Wikipedia, more about Wikipedia and related projects
Wikipedia in other languages
- Wiktionary, a dictionary and thesaurus in lots of languages
- Wikibooks, this sites makes textbooks
- Wikiquote, quotations in every language.
- Wikisource, this site collects public domain source texts.